Sunday, January 26, 2014

5 days, 5 perspectives, 1 week, 1 video post 14

Update: This week was midterm exam week, so I did not get anything done with my project, but this weekend I started editing day 1 of the film. Final Cut Pro X is so much more intensely detailed than iMovie, and I found myself struggling to accomplish the cool things that I wanted to do quickly. Editing will take a long time and I have to have patience so that I can get a good feel for all the simple tasks that I can complete. I guess one of my goals in the editing process will be to try and master the small stuff instead of barely knowing how to do everything...if that makes any sense. I am very excited for winter break coming up because I am planning on using it entirely for filming and editing. I am going to start looking into contacting a reporter from hopefully either The Detroit News or The Detroit Free Press. I know those are big, but I really want to take the risk to find a very passionate staff writer. Following around someone who works in and outside the newsroom is the type of occupation where it would be crucial to capture the essence of setting that I talked about in my last blog post. As much of a reporter's life is on the road, it would be incredible to be able to capture locations that are constantly switching, and each one new and for a specific purpose. Whether walking through the streets, or panning through a crowded room, with this kind of footage the viewer will stay engaged with the film even if it is just about an average person. Also, with the subject's voice narrorating the experience, the overall feel of being inside's the person's shoes, kind of in their head space, will hopefully greatly help to enhance the effects of the setting.

I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned what camera I am using, which someone out there may be wondering: The main camera for this assignment is the Nikon Coolpix S9300 with 16 mega pixels and 1800 HD movie. It is small and doesn't have multiple lenses that you can change, but I really love it and I was super lucky to have received it for Christmas as a surprise 2 years ago. The second camera that is an old family one is by Samsung. It's a camcorder and I'm pretty sure if I went to a film museum it would probably be in a glass case somewhere labeled, "Ancient Camera". Nonetheless, it is great if I need to get 2 angles, and works just fine.

Instead of a film fact this week I am going to set a new goal for myself besides my editing one I mentioned earlier. This is to carry my camera with me at all times and document anything I find interesting. Filming a lot of the time may make me more observant and continue developing a better eye for the right moment to film, which is a risk for this project that I'm willing to take.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alexis, my name is Monica I am a freshmen from the University of St. Joseph in Connecticut. I find your blog fascinating and I think it is great that you are going to take pictures of what you find interesting. I think it is inspiring. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and your very nice comment! It means so much :)

      Delete